New York, NY, August 13, 2012 – In the sure-to-be-messy aftermath of the national party conventions, 92Y’s Campaign for the American Conversation and COMEDY CENTRAL’s Indecision present a political tonic: The Unconvention, an event offering a range of voices on the election and the state of the nation. On September 9 at 92YTribeca, politicians, commentators and comedians from left, right and everywhere in between come together for a night of both serious insight and unlimited laughter. It’s a political party—with a twist. Expect to see panels, standup, sketches and plenty of surprises. Confirmed guests include:
• Evan Bayh – former two-term governor of Indiana (1989-1997) and U.S. senator (1999-2011); Fox News contributor and partner at McGuireWoods law firm
• Scott Blakeman – political comedian; tours with Standup for Peace: The Two Comedian Solution to Middle East Peace; host of the political comedy talk show The End Of The Week As We Know It; regular guest on Fox News.com Live; original member of Laughing Liberally; Huffington Post contributor
• Abby Huntsman – host of HuffPost Live and daughter of former presidential candidate and Governor Jon Huntsman
• Molly Knefel – co-host of Radio Dispatch
• Jonathan Krohn – 17-year-old author; penned the book Defining Conservatism when he was only 14
• Political Subversities – troupe that creates comedy about politics, culture and current events through a weekly live show at The Peoples Improv Theater
• Dylan Ratigan – New York Times best-selling author of Greedy Bastards and former host of MSNBC’s “The Dylan Ratigan Show”
• Connor Ratliff – member of the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre’s The Stepfathers and presidential candidate
• Ben Smith – Editor-In-Chief of BuzzFeed
• Michael Steele – former Chairman of the Republican National Committee; MSNBC Political Analyst
• Toure – co-host of MSNBC’s The Cycle and author of Who’s Afraid of Post-Blackness What It Means To Be Black Now
•Jesse Ventura – former Independent governor of Minnesota; former U.S. Navy SEAL; professional wrestler; movie actor; visiting fellow at Harvard Kennedy School of Government; New York Times best-selling author
WHEN: Sun, Sep 9, 7pm
WHERE: 92YTribeca, 200 Hudson Street
TICKETS: $10, available at 92YTribeca.org or 212.601.1000
Available on-air, online and on-the-go, COMEDY CENTRAL (www.cc.com) is the #1 brand in comedy and is owned by, and is a registered trademark of, Comedy Partners, a wholly-owned unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA and VIAB). For up-to-the-minute and archival press information and photographs visit COMEDY CENTRAL’s press Web site at www.cc.com/press and follow us on Twitter @ComedyCentralPR for the latest in breaking news updates, behind-the-scenes information and photos.
92nd Street Y has been a platform for provocative but civil dialogue for over 130 years. As a community center in NYC, we have welcomed a wide range of the world’s best and brightest thinkers and leaders to our stage—luminaries from the worlds of politics, the media and the arts. They come to 92Y with differing and sometimes opposite worldviews, but always in the spirit of genuine, respectful, substantive dialogue. We think that kind of conversation is crucial, especially in a election year. The Campaign for the American Conversation is our effort to share some of these conversations beyond the walls of 92Y, and to start some new ones too. The global reach of new and social media gives us the opportunity to share the magic that happens on our stage—and behind the scenes—far beyond our four walls. In the run up to the 2012 election and beyond, 92Y’s Campaign for the American Conversation will bring you the most outstanding conversations from our stage and behind the scenes with top politicians, journalists, economists, activists—and we’ll share great conversations from other sources too, wherever we find them. Join the Conversation.
92YTribeca is 92nd Street Y’s downtown arts and culture venue in New York City. Opened in October 2008, 92YTribeca presents music, comedy, film, theater, talks, classes, family events, and Jewish community and holiday programs in a versatile, street-level, modern space at 200 Hudson Street. In addition to the mainstage and screening room, the venue houses an art gallery, lounge, bar, cafe, seminar and meeting rooms, and free Wi-Fi around the space. With programs developed by a professional curatorial team in partnership with staff, local artists and arts organizations, new-media companies, fellow presenters, and community and cause-based organizations, 92YTribeca aims to engage a diverse community of young people from around the New York area with smart, relevant programming that encourages participation and conversation. For more information, visit www.92YTribeca.org.
92nd Street Y is a world-class nonprofit community and cultural center that connects people to the worlds of education, the arts, health and wellness, and Jewish life.
For COMEDY CENTRAL’s Indecision:
- Press Releases
- Screening Room